Last week the following article was posted by the Ancestry Insider (http://ancestryinsider.blogspot.com/), one of my favourite sites to read:
- New FamilySearch (NFS) version 0.99, released in December, has improved place name support. Anderson previously could not enter, but can now, a location with five levels. This might be necessary when including a cemetery name in addition to city, county, state, and nation.
- Anderson heard that NFS will roll out to Asia before it goes to genealogists outside the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- FamilySearch knows that sourcing is a problem in NFS and solutions are being worked on. (I sure hope so!)
- FamilySearch also knows that an uncombine is much more onerous than combine and is working on a solution.
- IOUS problems are nearly resolved. Solving this problem has consumed a lot of resources that can finally be applied to enhancing NFS.
- Randy Bryson, a FamilySearch employee, had indicated that Record Search would be getting a large amount of unindexed images added in about six months time. And if not in six months, then some other time… ”
Bullet #1 – anyone noticed any changes in place names?
Bullet #2 – I have also heard that the Asian Temple districts will be added before nFS goes public – but it is important to remember that there are still plans to go public. I get concerned when I see people who have set their user preferences to share telephone numbers and physical addresses to their homes on nFS!
Bullet #3 – I too am looking forward to improvement in the sourcing section of nFS. Currently I am not moving my sources or notes over from my personal record management file. I do try to insist that when people add new information to nFS that they give source information.
Bullet #5 – IOUS = individuals of unusual size which are those people with many many duplicates. It would be nice to hear that this problem has been resolved . . . . but I have not heard any official word yet.
Bullet #6 – Record Search is a very valuable collection of records – some with only images which means you see the originals but there is no search feature, some indexes without images which means we have to go elsewhere to see the original images, and images with indexes which are the best!