I have a suspicion that most people haven’t really examined the features of the Family Tree view at nFS!! Time to take a tour! There are some very nice features to see.
I am sure all of you got the notice of the new nFS training site for FH Consultants. If you tried to get on the site the day it was announced you probably couldn’t because everyone was trying to get there! The training site does not have the capacity of the full nFS – so you have to hope to get one of the working spaces. The nickname for the training site is the “sandbox.” It is a space where you can practice and try all the nFS features but not in real data. A great place to learn! As you enter the site you will be prompted for your LDS Account and on the next page you will be offered a pdf download of practice exercises. This tour of the Family Tree view mostly comes from those practice exercises – so the numbers start with #14.
14. At the top of the pedigree and details screen, click Change View, and select Family Tree.
15. Notice that only the pedigree is displayed. Click a name to view the individual’s summary
information on the right.
16. On the right, click the Details view.
17. Click a right arrow to expand your pedigree. If available, expand your pedigree several generations
along one line.
18. Using the Zoom Bar at the top left, click and drag the zoom tool to zoom out, click and drag the
pedigree to move it, and click and drag the zoom tool to zoom in.
19. Use the mouse scroll wheel to zoom out and zoom in on the pedigree.
20. Use the plus (+) and minus (-) keys to zoom out and zoom in on the pedigree.
21. Use the arrow keys to move the pedigree up, down, left, and right.
22. Use the Navigator button (the 4 headed icon with a square in the middle) to move the pedigree up, down, left, and right.
23. Use the Home and End keys to move to the beginning and end of your pedigree.
24. Click the name of an individual listed on the far right of your pedigree, and then click ) to see the direct line from the individual listed on the right to the first person in the pedigree.
25. Click (Align Family button) to line up the pedigree from the individual listed on the right to the
first person in the pedigree.
26. Click (Show Descendants button) to see descendants for an individual.
27. Click (Show Ancestors button) to see ancestors for an individual.
28. If the Show All Wives button or Show All Husbands button is displayed, click it to
view other spouses for an individual.
29. If the Show All Parents button is displayed, click it to view other parents for an individual.
Printing a Pedigree Chart
30. At the top, click (Print button).
31. On the Print window, click Print. Notice how the pedigree looks when printed. – if you have built out a big enough pedigree chart it will be a multi page (cascading) chart
Printing a Family Group Record
32. On the right, above the summary information for an individual, click Family Group Record.
33. On the family group record view, at the top, click Print.
34. On the Print window, click Print. Notice how the family group record looks when printed.
35. Click Close Window.
Exploring the List View
36. At the top left, click the Family Tree drop-down list, and select Individual List.
37. Notice that the individuals in the list are the same individuals that were on the family tree view.
Click one of the column headings to change how the list sorts.
38. Click an individual’s name to view his or her information on the right.