Please don’t interpret the following comments to be our endorsement of a particular software package! As far as we are concerned there are many good ones and each of us should select the one(s) that we like the best and that we find easiest to use.
This is being shared because: 1. We often hear from Macintosh users wanting to know about FH software for the Mac that will work with nFS, and 2. This is important information for users of several FamilySearch Affiliate products.
1. Around the time of the the SLC Conferences, Ancestry.com announced that a version of their Family Tree Maker software would be made for the Macintosh. When? The Family Tree Maker web site says “later in 2010.”
2. The following is condensed from the April 2010 newsletter from Ohana Software the makers of FamilyInsight regarding Adding New File Formats. Ohana are:
- Beta testing a version that will work with Family Tree Maker 2010 and Ancestral Quest file formats.
- Developing versions that will work directly with RootsMagic and Legacy files.
- What does this mean? Do I need to stop using PAF? This means that you can use the program that works best for your needs and still have access to FamilyInsight. If PAF is your favorite program then by all means keep using PAF 5. If you like one of the other programs then you can choose the program that is best for you.
- Family Tree Maker has announced that they will be releasing a Mac Version and we will work with that program when it is released. We are also pursuing other Mac options to work with.
- Now that Get My Ancestors is in the Tools menu of FamilyInsight, you will be able to save your Get My Ancestors file in any of the formats that FamilyInsight saves to. This is only applicable to the version that is in the tools menu of FamilyInsight.
- The Get My Ancestors stand alone program will only save to a PAF file.
( Follow this link for the full newsletter article: http://www.ohanasoftware.com/files_documents/newsletter/Apr2010.pdf )
What does this mean?
1. Good news for Mac users – they will have another choice for FH software – and will be able to work more easily with nFS data once Family Tree Maker for Mac becomes available.
2. Those using PAF and other FH programs will also be able to use Family Insight if they wish.
3. The free Get My Ancestors program allows you to download information from nFS to help someone create or add to their FH file – but only in PAF format. The Get My Ancestors link from within Family Insight allows you to use Get My Ancestors to create files in the other formats supported by Family Insight.
Always remember to periodically check in the link to the lower right of the sign in page for nFS to see the growing list of Affiliate Products. Click on some of the links – try some of the products at least the ones that are free!
What is affiliate software? “FamilySearch Certified Affiliates are third-party companies and organizations that provide products and services with features that are compatible with FamilySearch programs. Certification indicates the affiliate’s declaration of compliance with FamilySearch requirements. Note that these products and services are independently developed and supported by their respective organizations, not by FamilySearch.” (from nFS website).
What does this mean? Among the features of affiliate software are the ability to move data in and out of nFS without re-typing anything, and being able to see the nFS data in different formats.