We are used to updates to nFS but now we also need to watch for updates to FamilySearch.org
On the main page for FamilySearch.org there is a link on the right entitled What’s New - click on it and there is a a posting dated 27 April which is titled “New Features Added 27 April 2011″
What has changed? Here is a brief summary – not excusing you from reading the real article!
1. Filters for searches – more like the ones in the old Record Search pilot – so you can now filter:
- Birth (and birth-like event) date and place
- Marriage (and marriage-like event) date and place
- Residence date and place
- Death (and death-like event) date and place
- Other event date and place (such as immigration, military service, etc.)
- Category (record type)
There is also a link to a more detailed article on using the filters. This is not the final version of the filters – so send suggestions through the Feedback link on the right.
2. Some titles of links on the main page have been simplified – so Historical Records is now Records and Family Trees is now Trees and Library Catalog is now Catalog
3. Next to the link to the Catalog is a new link to Books – which means the BYU scanned books collection – currently over 17000 historical books – give it a try!
4. The Give Back link at the top of the page is now gone and replaced by a link to Indexing
5. In the Footer on the right under Resources is a link called Products that takes you to a page where you can download PAF as well as access links to 3rd party affiliate products certified by Family Search.
Please use Feedback – either to applaud new features or to make suggestions for improvements